West Dunbartonshire’s Citizen Advice Bureau will be piloting joint advice and support surgeries with Martin Docherty-Hughes MP from next month.
Since being elected in May last year, Martin Docherty-Hughes MP has been holding surgeries throughout West Dunbartonshire and now has regular monthly public drop-in sessions set up in Alexandria, Dumbarton, Clydebank, Dalmuir and Faifley Libraries.
From Friday 4th March 2016, West Dunbartonshire CAB will attend Martin’s surgeries in Alexandria, Dumbarton, Dalmuir and Faifley libraries to help provide advice and support to local people.
Speaking about the pilot scheme, Martin Docherty-Hughes MP said,
“I was delighted when the CAB expressed an interest in joint surgeries. West Dunbartonshire CAB provide excellent advice and support to local people day in day out and I believe their support at these surgeries will be invaluable.
I see a lot of people coming through looking for help with a huge range of issues and CAB are the experts in giving free, confidential advice. Working jointly, we should be able to better advice and help people to get the information and support they need more quickly.”
West Dunbartonshire CAB General Manager, Joe McCormack said,
“We’re pleased to be working alongside the MP in this new initiative. The CAB is based in the town centre and we realise that might not suit everyone. We recognise the need for partnership working if we’re to help as many people as possible through providing an effective and accessible CAB service.
People coming along to the MP’s surgery will now have the chance to speak to someone from the CAB in the usual confidential way. There will be a separate room where we can offer advice and assistance with benefits queries, debt problems, housing matters, consumer disputes and all the other issues that people regularly bring to the Bureau.”
Notes for Editors:
- Citizens Advice Scotland, our 61 member bureau and our consumer helpline together form Scotland’s largest independent advice network. We help more than 300,000 people solve their problems each year in communities everywhere from city centres to the Highlands and Islands. And we look at the problems people bring to our advice services and campaign for change where it’s needed most. We work for a fairer Scotland where people are empowered and their rights respected.
- Alexandria Library Surgery to be held on the first Friday of every month from 10am to 11am
- Dumbarton Library Surgery to be held on the first Friday of every month from 11:30am to 12:30pm
- Dalmuir Library Surgery to be held on the third Friday of every month from 1pm to 2pm.
- Faifley Library Surgery to be held on the third Friday of every month from 2:15pm to 3:15pm