Categories: News

I have collated a list of helplines and advice from trusted sources relating to the Coronoavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. I will endeavour to keep this as up-to-date as possible in the coming weeks so constituents know where to find advice and support.

Health Advice – Coronavirus

The best place for the latest public health guidance on Coronavirus (COVID-19), including physical distancing measures and advice for infected households, is at the NHS Inform website.

If you don’t have symptoms and looking for general advice on Coronavirus call NHS Inform’s free helpline on 0800 028 2816 (open daily from 8am – 10pm).

West Dunbartonshire Council – Advice & information

For the latest advice & information on the impact of Coronavirus on local council services including schools, nurseries, housing, social care, bin collections visit the West Dunbartonshire Council website.

West Dunbartonshire – Crisis Support Team

If you’re elderly or vulnerable living in West Dunbartonshire and need help with accessing food or medicines then you can contact the local crisis support team via email on or calling 01389 738282 (press option 5).

Citizens Advice Bureau – West Dunbartonshire

West Dunbartonshire CAB can offer advice and information over the phone and online on a range of issues including employment rights & benefit entitlement:

Dumbarton – 01389 744690
Clydebank – 0141 435 7590
Alexandria – 01389 752727

Or visit the West Dunbartonshire CAB website:

Helpline for Elderly People

You’re not alone – call the Age Scotland helpline for older people looking for advice, support or just to hear a friendly voice on 0800 12 44 222 (open Mon to Fri 9am – 5pm).

Business Support Helpline

Call the Scottish Government’s official helpline for businesses on 0300 303 0660 for all questions relating to financial support and essential advice (open Mon to Fri from 8:30am – 5:30pm).

Employers’ Helpline

Call Healthy Working Lives on 0800 019 2211 for practical workplace advice on health, safety and wellbeing information.

Tax Helpline for Businesses & Self-Employed

Call HMRC’s tax advice helpline on 0800 0159 559 if you run a business or are self-employed and have concerns relating to Coronavirus about paying tax.

Mental Health Helpline

Call Breathing Space Scotland on 0800 83 85 87  for listening, advice and information for people feeling low, stressed or anxious (open Mon-Thur 6pm to 2am; Friday 6pm – Monday 6am).

Parents Helpline

Call Parentline Scotland on 0800 028 2233 for tips, advice and support for parents, or if you simply need to talk.

The Scottish Governnent’s Parent Club website has valuable tips and advice on supporting children during the coronavirus outbreak:

LGBT Health & Wellbeing Helpline

Call LGBT helpline Scotland on 0300 123 2523 for information and emotional support, or simply a friendly voice.

Housing Helpline

Call Shelter Scotland on 0808 800 444 for advice and answers on homelessness, evictions, housing benefit, repairs and more.

Domestic Abuse Helpline

Call the Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0800 027 1234 for confidential support from highly-trained female advisers.

Rape Crisis Scotland Helpline

Call Rape Crisis Scotland on 08088 01 03 02 for confidential support, advice and information. It is for anyone, women and men, affected by sexual violence, no matter when or how it happened.

Immigration Helpline (Home Office)

Call the Home Office immigration helpline on 0800 678 1767 for immigration enquiries relating to Coronavirus.

Helpline for Refugees & Asylum Seekers

Call the Scottish Refugee Council on 0141 223 7979 if you are a refugee or asylum seeker in Scotland needs support or assistance.


Scottish Govt advice & information:

– guidance on closure of non-essential businesses available here.

– link to get an online NHS isolation note for your employer available here.

UK Govt advice & information:

– advice for British citizens travelling abroad available here.

– advice on Coronavirus and claiming benefits is available here.

– a summary of support for employers & employees is available here.

Advice on volunteering to help your community:

STUC advice on the Covid-19 self-employment income support scheme:

STUC advice on the Covid-19 Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme:

ACAS advice on Covid-19 for employees and employers:

Share this post:
Website issued by Martin Docherty-Hughes MP, Member of Parliament for West Dunbartonshire (SNP)

This website is funded by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) for the purpose of assisting Martin Docherty-Hughes MP in the performance of their Parliamentary duties. 
Formal feedback about website content should be sent to
The UK Parliament has no responsibility for the content of externally-linked sites

Titan Enterprise Centre, Suite 1-11, 1 Aurora Avenue, 1 Queens Quay, Clydebank G81 1BF

Contact form

0141 952 2988 Local office

Privacy / Cookies & IPs

Site build:

Newsletter sign-up

Leave this field blank